Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Last Weekend in July

early 1970s
Stan "Bud" Burkhalter, Dick Burkhalter, Bob Burkhalter, Jack Burkhalter
Doris Burkhalter Thompson, Donna Burkhalter Whittemore, Rosemary Burkhalter Hutcheson, Irene Burkhalter Neve
Louis Alfred Burkhalter, Lena Wiss Burkhalter

One of my favorite weekends all year is the last weekend of July.

As a child this weekend was on par with Christmas morning...hay rides, s'mores, and playing in the river.

As an adult this weekend allows me to step away from hectic daily life and reconnect with people I hold dear, even if I only see them once a year.

And what is the last weekend in July, you ask?

It is the annual Burkhalter Family Reunion.

This blog is a collection of photos and documents from family archives...most of which did not actually happen during the last weekend of July. But this is how I grew up thinking of these relatives...they were the ones I saw on Sleepy Meadow Farm, slightly stale with campfire smoke and sore from sleeping on an undiscovered rock the night before.

My great-uncle (as well as a great uncle) Dick Burkhalter has been involved in organizing the family archives for the past few years. The hope for this online version will be to provide a more public venue for relatives to access these family documents.

I hope you will add in your own stories or comments about the items posted. Click on "comments" next to any entry to do so.

And if you have other items to add into this family blog, corrections, or dates to add to items, please contact me at annalei(dot) burkhalter(at)gmail(dot)com or Dick at dburkhalterd(at)comcast(dot)net.
late 1980s
Bob Burkhalter, Irene Burkhalter Neve, Jack Burkhalter, Rosemary Burkhalter Hutcheson, Lena Wiss Burkhalter, Donna Burkhalter Whittemore, Doris Burkhalter Thompson, Stan "Bud" Burkhalter, Dick Burkhalter

1 comment:

  1. It's great to see my Great Grandfather and Great Great Grandfather.

    ReplyDelete